A friend of a friend doesn't make you my friend
It's funny how some moments just pass us by and you know things will never be the same again. It could be with friends, family, "significant others", loved ones, acquaintances or even strangers. Of course, being logical, time never turns itself back so technically every moment that has passed is lost to us. But that, is of course not what I mean.
I remember talking to one of my friends before about his having to leave close friends he's lived with and loved (alright, I added this emotion and word but I do not believe it is too strong for this context) for years that he just had to leave because they had come to a point where life was leading them in separate directions and they could no longer be together despite the longing to. I know this sounds a little on the gay side but I reassure you this friend of mine is all alpha-male as far as I know...
I'm pretty certain many people face this on a regular basis, especially school-going people (sometimes known as students), since the changing of classes within a school as well as graduating from one school to the next etc leaves us with various opportunities for passing moments, fleeting friendships. I speak for myself, mainly, because these have left many empty spaces in my mind and heart whilst rapidly filling up my address book and mobile phonebook to no end.
I'm definitely not saying that you can't keep in contact. Of course you can. And if you are one of those people who do that immaculately, I heartily congratulate you. Because I am pretty certain you have fast joined the ranks of Irrawaddies (an endangered species, if you aren't well versed in general knowledge...). However, for the rest of humankind, it is quite a pain to keep in touch and despite all the promises of being "friends forever" or "always loving you", there is a part of us that realizes that most of the time, these things just can't come true. Still, I know many try really hard, me included, and that explains the popularity of networks like friendster and hi5.
Of course, it also depends on what you define as being a friend. I know of people who have never seen me before but have decided to add me on their friendster just because I am a friend of their friend. I am not sure how that works out for them in their minds but it somehow doesn't click in mine. I think I am supposed to have had some sort of contact with you before I can consider you a friend?? And obviously, contact does not need to be overtly intimate like hugging or kissing and the works... But the whole "I find you f***ing hot" thing does not quite count as contact either. In case you didn't realise, being a friend of my friend does not make you my friend. I'm not being exclusive. Just get to know me. You may be surprised. After all, I shock the hell outta me every day.
At this point, the lyrics of a certain song I love pops into mind and this song has gotten me through some heartache and through much realization. In essence, this is an idealistic and egotistical song. After all, the protagonist actually believes that there was love in the first place and also that this love would be great enough to conquer all. This overwhelming type of love obviously doesn't come often. But I believe that it does, once in awhile, and no matter how we feel after it has passed, it ought not discount that love and those emotions.
Though Mariah Carey has had ups and downs in her mental and emotional state throughout her musical career and her life, I think all these have made her all the more talented and able to write music from her heart. Her trials may not have made her stronger, sometimes a little more psycho (but who isn't a little mad to begin with), it has brought me many songs that I feel deeply for and the following lyrics is of the song I mentioned earlier, written by Mariah during her tumultuous divorce:
When you love someone so deeply they become your life, it's easy to succumb to overwhelming fears inside. Blindly I imagined I could keep you under glass, now I understand to hold you I must open up my hands and watch you rise.
Spread your wings and prepare to fly, for you have become a butterfly, fly abandonedly into the sun. If you should return to me, we truly were meant to be
so spread your wings and fly, butterfly.
I have learned that beauty has to flourish in the light. Wild horses run unbridled
or their spirit dies. You have given me the courage to be all that I can, and I truly feel your heart will lead you back to me when you're ready to land.
I cant pretend these tears aren't overflowing steadily, I cant prevent this hurt of mine
from almost overtaking me. But i will stand and say goodbye, for you'll never be mine until you know the way it feels to fly.
Spread your wings and prepare to fly, for you have become a butterfly, fly abandonedly into the sun. If you should return to me, we truly were meant to be
so spread your wings and fly, butterfly. So flutter through the sky, butterfly.
I remember talking to one of my friends before about his having to leave close friends he's lived with and loved (alright, I added this emotion and word but I do not believe it is too strong for this context) for years that he just had to leave because they had come to a point where life was leading them in separate directions and they could no longer be together despite the longing to. I know this sounds a little on the gay side but I reassure you this friend of mine is all alpha-male as far as I know...
I'm pretty certain many people face this on a regular basis, especially school-going people (sometimes known as students), since the changing of classes within a school as well as graduating from one school to the next etc leaves us with various opportunities for passing moments, fleeting friendships. I speak for myself, mainly, because these have left many empty spaces in my mind and heart whilst rapidly filling up my address book and mobile phonebook to no end.
I'm definitely not saying that you can't keep in contact. Of course you can. And if you are one of those people who do that immaculately, I heartily congratulate you. Because I am pretty certain you have fast joined the ranks of Irrawaddies (an endangered species, if you aren't well versed in general knowledge...). However, for the rest of humankind, it is quite a pain to keep in touch and despite all the promises of being "friends forever" or "always loving you", there is a part of us that realizes that most of the time, these things just can't come true. Still, I know many try really hard, me included, and that explains the popularity of networks like friendster and hi5.
Of course, it also depends on what you define as being a friend. I know of people who have never seen me before but have decided to add me on their friendster just because I am a friend of their friend. I am not sure how that works out for them in their minds but it somehow doesn't click in mine. I think I am supposed to have had some sort of contact with you before I can consider you a friend?? And obviously, contact does not need to be overtly intimate like hugging or kissing and the works... But the whole "I find you f***ing hot" thing does not quite count as contact either. In case you didn't realise, being a friend of my friend does not make you my friend. I'm not being exclusive. Just get to know me. You may be surprised. After all, I shock the hell outta me every day.
At this point, the lyrics of a certain song I love pops into mind and this song has gotten me through some heartache and through much realization. In essence, this is an idealistic and egotistical song. After all, the protagonist actually believes that there was love in the first place and also that this love would be great enough to conquer all. This overwhelming type of love obviously doesn't come often. But I believe that it does, once in awhile, and no matter how we feel after it has passed, it ought not discount that love and those emotions.
Though Mariah Carey has had ups and downs in her mental and emotional state throughout her musical career and her life, I think all these have made her all the more talented and able to write music from her heart. Her trials may not have made her stronger, sometimes a little more psycho (but who isn't a little mad to begin with), it has brought me many songs that I feel deeply for and the following lyrics is of the song I mentioned earlier, written by Mariah during her tumultuous divorce:
When you love someone so deeply they become your life, it's easy to succumb to overwhelming fears inside. Blindly I imagined I could keep you under glass, now I understand to hold you I must open up my hands and watch you rise.
Spread your wings and prepare to fly, for you have become a butterfly, fly abandonedly into the sun. If you should return to me, we truly were meant to be
so spread your wings and fly, butterfly.
I have learned that beauty has to flourish in the light. Wild horses run unbridled
or their spirit dies. You have given me the courage to be all that I can, and I truly feel your heart will lead you back to me when you're ready to land.
I cant pretend these tears aren't overflowing steadily, I cant prevent this hurt of mine
from almost overtaking me. But i will stand and say goodbye, for you'll never be mine until you know the way it feels to fly.
Spread your wings and prepare to fly, for you have become a butterfly, fly abandonedly into the sun. If you should return to me, we truly were meant to be
so spread your wings and fly, butterfly. So flutter through the sky, butterfly.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home